This project was off to a sad start as far as the iconic helmet goes. Before I started, I knew it was going to be tricky.
The design itself is very front heavy, and the horns would have to be hollow. I had seen a tutorial on how to make horns out of clay and paper mache. Basically, create the shape you want out of the clay, and let it harden. Then, paper mache over the clay, dry, remove from clay, and repeat. You end up with two identical horns. Great idea!
I bought a wire wreath from the craft store and trimmed it down, tapering one end so I would end up with a perfect circle segment. I also used a foam head to build the base of the helmet.
Problem number 1: The horns were huge. Enormous! Like two feet tall. If I wasn’t trying to go for as movie accurate as possible, I might have let it fly. After all, I am a far cry from Hiddleston’s more than 6ft frame, and could use all the help I could get!
Problem number 2: The horns were too circular. Again, if I wasn’t trying to replicate the helmet from the movie, I would have been happy with it, as long as both horns were the same.
Problem number 3: The head was too small. I tried to fix this by cutting down the middle (so I had two mirror image halves) and adding a strip to make the helmet wider. But it was still small, too round and bulbous, and downright awkward.
It was going to take too much work to fix these pieces, so they now sit in a cardboard box at the end of the table. I don’t have the heart to throw them away just yet, but they will inevitably head that way.
Take from this what you will. I don’t think there is anything wrong with this method in theory, and the failings were probably in the execution. This was my December/January, lost in a mess of paper, glue, and wire.
Several weeks ago, I began work on the new and improved Loki helmet, and it has been going much better. It involves drafting the general shape (from the inside out) in wire, and layering fabric and paper mache. I will go into more detail with that as I collect my photos and descriptions.